The Swift & Co. Creamery at the corner of Sixth (now College Drive) and Railroad Streets is shown burning in this Pennington Studio photo from the late 1930s. Apparently, the Durango Fire Department recruited bystanders to aid in dousing the flames. In an accompanying photo, the fire hose can clearly be seen being manned by citizens. Note the people on the roof of the building. In the same accompanying picture, no fewer than five people are on the roof, possibly directing the firefighting efforts. In 1928, the Swift Co. started operating from this site, buying local farm products and reselling them under its Brookfield brand. In 1947, the business was sold and became Durango Ice and Produce.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, email@example.com